Friday, June 4, 2010

Elizabethan Burgundy Gown: Undergarmets

Well, here we are back at the beginning, starting from the skin out. I have a smock!



It's made from approximately three yards of a white linen/rayon blend. It's a basic square-neck, T-tunic shaped smock, and the pattern came from the Elizabethan Smock Pattern Generator at the Elizabethan Costume Page (link here: http://www.elizabethancostume.net/smockpat/index.html). This pattern worked out perfectly for me, and I didn't need any alterations. I could use another six inches of length, but I ran out of fabric. I also wanted to met the look and feel of period Elizabethan blackwork embroidery on the neck and sleeves, but I don't so much embroidery. So I found a couple of stitches on my sewing machine that looked like they would work (and I don't have a fancy embroidery machine. These were just two of the 30 or so stitches it came with) and ran those around the neck and sleeves in plain black thread. You can certainly tell it's not period, but from a few feet away, I think it looks fine. Here's a close-up of the neck and a sleeve:



I've also begun work on my stays. I began with the Corset Pattern Generator, once again from the Elizabethan Costume Page (that place is an invaluable resource). I cut out the shape I came up with, and it looks awfully small, but with lacing and the squish factor, it will probably work out. I'm probably going to make some changes, by adding boned tabs and straps, as it just sounds like it would be more comfortable and supportive.



I'm also struggling with whether to make this corset front-lacing or back-lacing. Front-lacing stays have the advantage of being able to get in and out of them more easily, but really don't allow for any fitting mistakes or weight fluctuations like back-lacing stays do. Also, I bought a wooden busk that I want to use in the front center, which wouldn't be possible in front-lacing stays. But I'm not sure I can get into back-lacing stays by myself. I'm definitely going to go buy an old curtain or sheet at the thrift store tomorrow for fabric to make a mock-up and make sure everything is going to fit before I do the real thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment