Saturday, August 14, 2010

Elizabethan Burgundy Gown: Headwear and jewels

The Elizabethan project is coming along. Today, I finally completed my headwear. I have made a toque (or Italian bonnet), and a fairly simple caul to wear it over. I used the instructions on the Sempstress blog, which are excellent (http://www.sempstress.org/2009/the-toque/). The cartridge pleats took a couple of tries. The first time, I stitched the pleats with some decorative, but not very sturdy gold thread. When I tried to pull the threads to gather the hat, they broke. The second time, I used a sturdy burgundy upholstery thread, and that worked very well. I also added beads as spacers between the cartridge pleats. I'm mostly pleased with it. The only thing I would do differently if I did it again would be to make the crown slightly smaller. It feels very tall on my head.



The caul is just a small circle gathered into a band. I made it from the same white-on-white embroidered fabric that I used for my partlet and ruff. I need to sew some little combs or something into the band to keep it on my head better. Bobby pins may not cut it.



And here's how everything goes together:




Also, I've made a necklace and earrings set to match the gown with some of the beads that will also be used on the gown's trim. The pendant is a peacock, and all the beads came from Joann's Fabric.



The ensemble is almost done. I think all I have left are the new sleeves and forepart (which are almost completed), and the wrist ruffs and stockings. And I may re-do the partlet, as I made the first one a little too small. And the trim. Which I seem to be trying to avoid.

2 comments:

  1. This is lovely. Beautiful work.

    Did you have a chance to wear it at the Ren Faire?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much. And no I didn't, I decided it was too hot for velvet that day, and wore something else.

    ReplyDelete