Monday, October 11, 2010

Red Cotehardie with Brocade Sideless Surcote

I returned yesterday from Highland War (obviously victorious, from the amount of loot I brought back with me). But I didn't get a chance to post pictures of one of my projects before I left.

I wanted to make a second cotehardie, as they are both comfortable and flattering. I had about 5 yards of red linen for that purpose. But I didn't have enough time to make any additional fabric covered buttons, so I had to settle for metal ones. The pattern used was the same as for my previous cotehardie, adapted from the Elizabethan Smock Pattern Generator. I took a little more care in sewing this one together, and actually used my iron. I even attempted to finish the seams (though using a serger would have been much quicker. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to get one...). I think it's evident that the dressmaking skills on this one are improved. Ironing seams while sewing really do make a big difference.



I also made a sideless surcote to wear over it. I used the pattern/guidelines created by Lady Jehanne de Wodeford, who I actually met at Great Western - I recognized the heraldry on her tent from her website, and went over to introduce myself (http://www.wodefordhall.com/surcote.htm).

Most sideless surcotes from the paintings are either made of one solid color, or made with a fur plastron and a fabric skirt, such as the lady in this picture:



As fur is both hot and expensive, I decided to use a brocade for the plastron and at the hem, and go for a less ornate, plain brown at the skirt. I thought it turned out relatively well.




I didn't get any pictures of myself in this garb at Great Western, as it was pretty much dark by the time I remembered to grab my camera, but here's a Garb In Action picture of me wearing my brown and white cotehardie with a barbette and fillet.




As a bonus picture, here's my new mini-pavilion, all thanks to some very very generous people who live in my shire.



I think I'm going to take a slight break to help some friends with Halloween costumes, then work on an Elizabethan doublet.

No comments:

Post a Comment