Sunday, November 6, 2011

16th Century Embroidered Partlet

After seeing the portrait of Isabella di Medici in Moda a Firenze, I have wanted to make an embroidered partlet. This partlet is made of white linen with an embroidered band, and an incorporated double box pleated ruff. The pattern was taken from this site, which has online copies of 16th and 17th century pattern books for embroidery, cutwork, lace making, and other goodies. I hadn't done embroidery before, (and had no luck with my attempt at blackwork - my eyes go crazy trying to count threads) so I simply traced the pattern onto the linen with a fabric pen that fades in water, and went over the lines with a chain stitch in cotton embroidery thread. When finished, I simply dipped the piece in water, and the fabric pen lines disappeared. I'm not sure if the chain stitch would have been correct for the 16th century (most of the references I saw for it were much earlier), but I feel that it turned out well. Pictures!

1 comment: