Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Yet Another 1480s Florentine dress...

... But this time, I think I finally perfected my pattern!

I've made two other attempts at this style, here, and here.

The first rendition, the blue gown, had some weird issues with the front closure. I learned a lot on that one. The second one, in turquoise, is much better on the front closure issue, but the bodice pattern isn't quite right. It's not as supportive as it needs to be - things creep downwards, and have to be periodically readjusted.

But no longer! May I present the purple gown!


This is my, "Ta da!" pose.

I basically took the bodice pattern from this project, moved the closure to the front, and took it in a good three inches directly under the bust, and inch or so from each seam. There's no way for the bust to creep downward, so everything stays where it's supposed to be. With no boning whatsoever. And, it's more flattering.



The skirt is still a giant rectangle knife pleated to the bodice. And on this gown, all stitches visible to the exterior were sewn by hand. It does develop a crease under the bust after wearing it for a while, but this doesn't bother me terribly.

The sleeves are in two separate pieces. The top portion laces to the shoulder and extends to just above the elbow. This is laced to the bottom portion, which is open along the outside of the arm, and held together with ribbons. This allows for some nice chemise poofs at the elbow and along the back of the forearm.


And here's some photographic proof of my hand stitching:


I also got some pictures in my overgown. Which looks awesome with this dress.


I also had to get a profile picture, like in so many of the period images.


One more...


Thanks to the crazy-talented Daisy Viktoria for taking all these pictures for me.

I've got several projects that I've been working on. I'm making three (count them, three!) Burgundian ensembles before Twelfth Night. Because I am overly ambitious, and perhaps a bit crazy. But seriously, why make one when you can make three? And I'm working on my red silk Eleanor of Toledo gown. Not as quickly as I'd like - I've been out of town too much recently for serious sewing. But I'm getting back to it now. More updates are coming soon!

10 comments:

  1. that is lovely! the fit looks perfect. I've been trying to make one of those gowns myself, but am having a hard time getting a fit in the chest that doesn't smoosh me in a weird way. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice work! I am amazed at all of the hand-stitching! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! Keep trying, Lauren. It took me three entire dresses and some help with patterning from other people to get this one to this point. But they're so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That turned out beautiful! I'm particularly fond of your sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurray!!! Do you have pictures anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do! I still need to finish the accessories and wear it for real (where I will hopefully get some better pictures, though these aren't bad) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200864676887557&set=oa.161920313958646&type=1&theater

    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200864692447946&set=oa.161920313958646&type=1&theater

    Thanks for inspiring me to keep trying and not just leave the dress wadded up in the corner :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's beautiful! I love the lacing rings in the front! And the sheer partlet. And the fit looks perfect.

      Delete
  7. This dress is just perfect on you - well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete