Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pentathlon!

I did finish (almost!) everything in time for pentathlon this year. I did have to drop one of my entries, an architectural replica, as there wasn't enough time.

For anyone who doesn't know, Pentathlon is an event that my SCA kingdom throws once every two years. Entrants enter at least 5 arts and sciences items of their own creation in at least 4 different categories. It kind of forces people to stretch their creative muscles, as they're entering categories in which they're very comfortable, and some in which they're much less comfortable. Here is the kingdom website with more information.

This year, I centered my project around Eleonora of Toldedo. I wrote a research paper about her for the Compositional category, I made a replica of a dress worn in one of her portraits for the Fiber Arts category, I made shoes and overshoes like she would have worn for the Functional Arts category, I entered a previously made 16th century Italian accessory, my zibellino, and I made a pie from a 16th century Italian recipe for the Culinary Arts category. The entry that I had to drop was an archetectural replica of the Palazzo Pitti, the palace that Eleonora bought with her own money, as the traditional Medici palace was not grand enough for her. Sadly, I had a last minute out of town trim just before the competition, and I wasn't able to finish it in time.

Sadly, I didn't get a picture of the pie. But here's everything else!









I'll do more detailed write-ups of the shoes/overshoes and the dress at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment