Saturday, February 13, 2010

Let's get this show on the road...

My big, exciting plans were temporarily postponed due to money reasons, but I finally put my foot down. Though I've near depleted my account, I have some fun new toys to play with.




I drove myself down the hill this morning and purchased a shiny, brand new, mid-range Brother sewing machine. It has about 40 different stitches, and does one-step buttonholes. I hope it will be a good little workhorse machine. And the best part: it's much faster than sewing by hand with a needle and thread. It's a bit pink, but that's my only complaint thus far. So now, I have no excuses to keep me from sewing.

My first project will hopefully begin tomorrow. My fabric is pre-washing in the washing machine right now. I've wanted to make Victorian clothing for quite some time, so I'm starting out with a set of Victorian foundation garments.

Though I'm not good with patterns, I decided that getting the correct shape for a historically correct Victorian corset was beyond me, so I purchased a pattern. The most highly-reviewed pattern I found online was the #100 Ladies Victorian Underwear pattern from Laughing Moon Mercantile. It comes with patterns for the Chemise and Drawers, as well two separate corset patterns, and the one pattern includes sizes 6-26 and bust sizes A-4D. And it cost only $14. If it turns out well, it should be a very good buy. A full review will come later, after I've had a chance to try it out. From the same company, I've also purchased a pattern which includes six different types of hoops and supports, roughly covering years 1856-1889, which in my opinion, certainly covers all the fun stuff.




While away, I also purchased about 15 yards of white cotton muslin and broadcloth for the chemise, drawers, and petticoats, along with all the requisite trim, notions, boning, lacing, grommets, and tapes. This is going to be a very expensive project. Pictures to follow, as soon as I get started. Happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment