Sunday, March 21, 2010

Bustle Gown Project: Break, Bustle, Bodices, and Boots

I took a short break from my sewing for a week or so, but now I'm back in the swing of things.

Firstly, my supplies came in, and I finally finished my bustle support. I tried it on with my chemise and corset, and it's very big. I meant for it to be big, but when you're actually wearing it, it seems strangely big. It's easier to sit in than I expected. All the supports are horizontal, so they collapse when you sit. You just kind of pull everything behind you and perch on the edge of your chair.



I recently signed up for a mailing list from a very helpful blog called the Cloak and Corset, and they sent out an article on corset covers. And I originally wasn't planning to have one of these, but after considering it, decided it would be a good idea. They smooth the bones on the corset and keep them from showing through the bodice. They also create a sweat shield under the arms, and protect the corset, which is a difficult item of clothing to wash. So, I'll probably be making a corset cover at some point. I also need to make a petticoat to go over the bustle support. More muslin is needed. I'm considering buying a whole bolt - it's probably cheaper in the long run.

I've also begun work on the bodice for my bustle gown. It's all cut out and the lining is all cut out. I'm still making a few fitting adjustments, but hopefully I'll be able to begin sewing on that tomorrow night. In other news on bodices, look at this lovely jacket I found in a consignment shop on Friday. To me, it looks just like the bodice for a Victorian riding outfit. I'm certainly going to have to incorporate the jacket in to future projects, or just convert it into a bodice. And it only cost me $17!



I've volunteered to help with costuming for my town's community theater group. I'm afraid this is going to take more of my time than I originally imagined. Most importantly, I'm due for a trip to the fabric store, but can't find a day when I'm free for the next three weeks. So, this project may eventually go on hold for a while, until I can get some more supplies.

Finally, I've begun to wonder about finding a modern equivalent for Victorian shoes and stockings. And I'm still not quite sure what to do about the stockings. For shoes, I really wanted some of those lovely button-up boots. Because, as we all know, massive amounts of decolletage is okay, but ankles are too risque to be shown in public. I've looked online for button-up boots, but couldn't find anything I liked. So, I've bought some thrift shore plain black pumps, and I'm going to make some spats to go over them. I'm still researching the design, but I think these will be lots of fun. Maybe I'll even permanently attach them to the shoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment