Sunday, December 19, 2010

Update: Halloween

As I noted in the last post, I have been working on sewing projects recently, I've just been horrible about blogging and posting pictures of them.

The first of the un-blogged-about projects was way back to Halloween. I did help a couple of friends with their Halloween costumes. I was asked to help with a replica of the "Amnita" dress from the stage version of Phantom of the Opera. Many pictures of the various versions can be found here: http://aneafiles.webs.com/potocostumes/aminta.html.



We did a quick Victorian corset and knee-length hoop skirt as supportive garments. The dress is made of an orange-y-peach synthetic silk replica that I found for $1/yard. The bodice is a small piece of brocade, and the under-skirt is actual silk that I found for a very low $3/yard. I love that fabric store. My only issues were that the skirt does not come far enough around the front (as we were running out of fabric and trim by that point), and the underskirt should have been out of a darker fabric - something mostly black with only a few lighter-colored swirls.





This girl is also quite the Phantom Phan (as am I), which made this project a lot of fun. She also sings angelically. Her rendition of "Think of Me" is effortless.

Another friend asked for help with a Mad Hatter costume (from the most recent Tim Burton version of Alice in Wonderland). We made only the hat and jacket. The hat came out fabulously, though it was so top-heavy that it was very difficult to wear. We added a chin-tie, though it didn't really help.




My jacket-making skills leave much to be desired. I probably should have bought and followed a pattern. Oh, well. But I think the owner was okay with it. Here she is before the rest of the ensemble was put together:



We, along with a few others, actually made it onto the website for the local radio station. I was trying out my Elizabethan gown.

No comments:

Post a Comment