Friday, November 1, 2013

Great Western War Through the Ages, Antiquity

I've been sewing up a storm, I promise. I've just been woefully neglectful of blogging about it.

This year's Great Western War had a theme of War Through the Ages. Each day of the war Thursday through Sunday had a theme of a particular time period, and the fighting scenarios, classes, and everything else was geared toward that theme. The time periods were roughly Antiquity, The Dark Ages, the High Middle Ages, and the Renaissance.

With Thursday's Antiquity theme, we were going slightly pre-SCA period and celebrating ancient Greece and Rome. I went for more of a Greek flair and wore a simple chiton which I've blogged about previously. The bottom purple layer is handkerchief weight linen, and the top layer is red silk georgette. It's belted under the bust, and pinned at the shoulders with pins which I've made from recycled gaudy gold early 90s post earrings.

I've attempted to style my hair similar to a hairstyle from and ancient Greek bust I saw somewhere. It's a little uneven.


The lake at Great Western makes for a lovely backdrop. We were fortunate enough to be camped on the lake shore.

I also completed a new painted silk banner prior to Great Western with help from some very knowledgeable and talented artisans in my shire. From the left it depicts the populace badges of the Kingdom of Caid, the Shire of Al Sahid, and my personal device.


Here it is flying proudly over the camp prior to the rest of my household's arrival. I am in love with silk banners, and will have to make more. They make camp look so festive!

No comments:

Post a Comment