Sunday, November 3, 2013

Great Western War through the Ages, Dark Ages

On Friday of Great Western War, we celebrated the Dark Ages. I decided to go Viking.

I have stated in the past that I would never make a viking ensemble, as I found them boring. We all eat our words sometimes. I've recently begun hanging out around artisans who recreate elements of viking culture, heard stories told, and viewed some amazing embroidery. So I've now decided that Vikings are anything but boring, and I needed to learn to dress like one.

The under dress is a simple brown linen t-tunic with 4 gores (which was probably too many. Two side gores would have probably been plenty).

The apron dress is purple wool that I've had in my stash for a while. I wove the trim and belt myself on my inkle loom from a pattern designed by my friend Natalie. The apron dress is probably slightly too big. It's cut with three straight rectangular pieces and three gores. I cut the three rectangular pieces so that their width when stitched together would match my bust measurement. It's probably correct, but looks a bit big to me, as I'm more accustomed to sewing for eras where clothes were more fitted. I may play with the pattern a bit.

I made a Dublin style cap/coif (with the point) rather than a Jorvik style coif (which is rounded), as I thought they were adorable.

Pictures!


The broaches are from Raymond's Quiet Press. I bought the smallest ones I could find, as they are less heavy and less expensive. I made it all the way to Great Western forgetting to put together some beads to wear between the broaches, so I bought and inexpensive necklace and shortened it.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! Katie, you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful job. I've oft thought of trekking to GWW, but have yet to make the trip.

    ReplyDelete