Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Not a Costume - Birthday Present Playhouse

My grandmother gifted me with a bunch of circa early 90s Singer Sewing Reference Library books a couple of years ago. Many of them teach sewing techniques, and others give project ideas. In one of those books (Quick and Easy Sewing Projects, 1993), I ran across the instructions for this project.

Also, my nephew Jack had his first birthday in October, and I flew home to attend. After obtaining permission from my sister for bringing such a large present to her small house, I decided that I had to make this play tent for him.


All the fabric for this play tent is lightweight quilting cotton, in colors that match his room. I wanted it to be very breathable. The walls are made from four large triangles, with pole casings sewn between them. The poles are 3/4 inch PVC pipes with end caps on the top and bottom. They're held together at the top by a shoelace passed through a hole drilled a couple of inches from the top. When not in use, the entire tent collapses to a much smaller bundle of poles and fabric, and can be stored in a corner. It should also be fairly easy to take off the poles and wash when necessary.

He was a little afraid of the tent at first, but warmed up once my dad crawled in there with him. I think he likes it now. Hopefully he'll get a lot of use out of it over the next few years.


And while we're on the subject, I'll include an additional, proud Aunt, "Look how adorable my nephew is!!!" photo. Here, he's demonstrating his clapping skills:


No comments:

Post a Comment