Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Great Western War through the Ages, Renaissance

On Sunday of Great Western War, we celebrated the Renaissance, the period nearest and dearest to my heart.

I made this second attempt at a 1580s Italian working class woman in June (the first attempt, one of my earlier forays into SCA period costuming is documented here...). I failed to get any pictures before now, and June was about 20 pounds ago, so the fit is no longer ideal. And I haven't yet had a chance to take the bodice apart and take it in, so please forgive the poor fit. It fit better when I made it!

The dress is made of a heavier weight light blue linen, which I bought ages ago in the LA fabric district. The bodice is interlined with a cotton canvas and lined with a lighter weight linen, and laces up the front through lacing rings sewn to the inside of the bodice. The skirt is unlined and cartridge pleated to the bodice. Both the bodice and the hem of the skirt are trimmed with red wool.

I'm wearing the embroidered partlet I made a couple of years ago. I also recently finished the white linen smocked apron, and the loose pocket or saccoccia. The sleeves are one layer of linen, and tie in to the shoulder of the bodice at only one point. Lastly, I'm wearing a little linen cap over my hair. These are less common in depictions of Italian working class women as they are in other regions, but are seen in a few. The Anea Files has an excellent collection of images.

And here are the pictures!




And that's all for a Western War. Coming soon, a few non-SCA garb projects that I've been making for other people, including princess dresses and birthday presents!

No comments:

Post a Comment